LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 19 07:55:07 EDT 2018

I have no idea if this is state of the art or not :-) - but here's what
I do ...

Short answer : the Livecode IDE plus an FTP client (Filezilla).

Longer answer :

99% of what I write for the LC server is standard LC - scriptonly
stacks, used as library stacks.

I have about 20 lines of LCS - just enough to look around and "start
using" the relevant librarystacks, and then invoke the top-level
handler. (This is actually in a revIgniter controller because I use
revIgniter, but the same thing would work even if I didn't).

This lets me develop and test most of it in a convenient environment
(the IDE, on my own laptop). I keep a copy of the scripts locally, along
with enough of the database to do testing. I have a small "test-harness"
app that lets me set parameters as though from the URL.

All output is done through my own handlers - which then either output on
LC Server, or output to log/status/output fields and a browser widget in
the test app. All DB access is done through a shim layer which uses
Andre's DBLib + sqlite on the laptop and revIgniter's DB Lib + MySQL on
the server.

I don't use revIgniter's "Views" - I have my own library which provides
the equivalent functionality in a way that lets me give website
maintainers access to it, without giving them access to anything within
revIgniter's 'system' folder.  (This also lets me test on the IDE).

I have a variety of ancillary files which I edit with other editors
(currently trying out Atom for small changes, but falling back to emacs
when there are larger or complex changes to do).

Only problem I've run into with this approach is that sometimes I will
edit and test a file (or a number of files)  locally, and forget to
upload one or some :-(  So I have a small 'sync' app which runs on the
laptop, and uses a LC Server script on the website, to flag up any
differences in the 'should be identical' files.

Alex.