Apple's 30%--anyway around it?

Linda Miller, DVM 1anmldr1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:46:45 EDT 2018

>First you develop a business selling ebooks that does not utilize the AppStore.
>You sell online and the ebooks are useable on macOS, Windows, Android, web browser.

Your proposal sounds as if I should spend many years developing a company and selling products for platforms that I am not really interested in (Windows and Mac OS)...and then and only then offer an iOS version. Why? Why not just iOS and Android?

I did have a thriving business for about 10 years.  The eBooks and apps were first for the Palm OS.  Then when Pocket PC's came out and Windows Mobile, etc. SkyScape and I were in the same sort of business.  It's original founder and I were developing apps at the same time and emailing each other occasionally. At the time, I had no interest in developing for desktop computers.

I even went to different veterinary schools and conventions promoting the use of handheld computers in veterinary medicine. It was fun.

Anyway, both SkyScape and I both had businesses selling eBooks that did not utilize the AppStore.

Here is a "proof" that I once had a business selling software that I created or was reselling...
http://www.anmldr.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

I first started developing for the iPhone when only web pages were the "apps" that were used. There was no AppStore. Then most people had Apple products or Blackberries and not so much Androids--it had not taken off at that time. I stopped selling software and closed my (hobby) business as Palms and Pocket PCs, etc. faded out and since Apple would not approve my app.

>Selling content outside the AppStore via your iOS app raises all sorts of red flags.

I don't know why you are thinking that there should be red flags about my request though. SkyScape's app came out only a short time before mine was finished.  The same sort of verification process that they used was used in my app.  Theirs was approved and mine never was no matter how many times I updated it.

It was a hobby for me for my profession (I am a veterinarian).  Now, I am retired (early) due to vision problems and would like to start up my hobby again. I have not kept up with it all and so I asked for some theoretical help.

Thank you,
Linda