OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 23 12:45:45 EST 2018

I'm glad that worked out, Matthias.

Linux can be every bit as easy to work with as other OSes when you get
it like we get other OSes: pre-installed with the computer you
purchased, with all the necessary drivers and configs set up for that
particular hardware.

Dell, Acer, System 76, ZaReason, and others sell some nice machines with
Linux pre-installed.

The challenge with Linux is when we ask it to do something we never ask
of other OSes, to run on a machine designed specifically to run a
different OS.

Trying to install macOS on a PC not designed for it is as frustrating as
it is illegal.  And even though most PCs are designed specifically to
Microsoft's specs, I've seen more than a few cases where installing a
stock version rather than using the restore disk becomes DLL hell.

I've been lucky with Linux, in that all but one of my installs went
swimmingly right out of the box.  And for that one, Ubuntu discovered
the need for a driver for me, and prompted me to click a button to
install it.

In your case a one-line change to the boot config fixed it.  I find most
install issues are about that small, if one is the sort who doesn't mind
a few minutes looking up an answer and typing it in Terminal.

And if you're looking for a simpler out-of-the-box solution, for PCs
with modest resources you could also try Xubuntu or other lightweight
distros.  The chances of at least one of those working well on a stock
Asus with N270 is pretty good.

By expecting Linux to run on everything we throw at it, we're asking it
to work much harder than we ask of any other OS.  It's a testimony to
the teams that make it that it generally does.

And with Linux having become the de facto standard of modern computing
in all areas beyond the desktop, time spent learning it is a good
investment in the 21st century.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems