OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 23 12:29:50 EST 2018

hh wrote:

 > I use Lubuntu/Xubuntu on my Raspis and have moreover my fastest
 > machine running with Mint-Cinnamon.
 > But I work with LiveCode only on Mac or Win. Whenever I make a widget
 > or use widgets I try for several hours to arrive at workarounds for
 > the linux version. Only that is a lot of pain -- the upper limit for
 > me.

That sounds painful.  What do those widgets do?

I use LC daily on Ubuntu, occasionally dipping into macOS or Windows
depending on what I'm working on.  The browser widget has gone though
several iterations that have been hit-and-miss (current miss in v9 but
anticipated to be resolved before Stable), and audio and video playback
have gotten so progressively worse since that last worked in MetaCard as
to be currently unusable (though the funded Player revision will
presumably address that when the Linux version catches up with the Mac
and Win versions that are already done).

But in my own experience those are the only two areas I've experienced
limitations with LC on Linux. Pretty much everything else I can think of
works well here.

It would be helpful to know where you're encountering issue so we can
help steward those bug reports to completion.

Linux isn't going away, and while it's not a direct revenue generator
for the company it plays a strong strategic role I'm sure they don't
want to conceded to other tools.  Let's see what's needed to bring LC's
Linux version up to par to keep it competitive in that growing space.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems