OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Jan 22 21:07:43 EST 2018

On 01/22/2018 04:31 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so this goes to the Linux experts on this list.
>
> I have here an old Asus EeePC 1000H which currently runs with Windows XP and which is not used very often.
> It has an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB ram and a 160GB harddisk.
>
> What Linux OS do you recommend for this machine? Best would be, if it could be used also with Livecode.
> I am planning to give it away to someone here in the neighbourhood who just want to use it for some writing and “Livecoding”.
>
> What do you think?

This is one of those religious questions.
Far be it from me to consider myself an 'expert', but...

The liner notes list four flavors of linux that are 'officially'
supported. If you want to stay the most compatible with LiveCode I'd
recommend going with Ubuntu 16 LTS. I supported Fedora at work until
Gnome3 came along and messed up the desktop. I had some hiccups with
LiveCode and Debian, which finally got resolved to a glibc version
issue. But ask any three linux users and you'll get half a dozen
different answers.

Be prepared to do some handholding. LiveCode and linux have a platonic
relationship.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com