Crazy script-only stack question

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:24:27 EST 2018

I agree that having the ability to use stacks (script-only in particular)
for behaviors is nice -- it lets developers easily put all their code under
source control. But the implementation is flawed, as we've discussed,
because it doesn't support (native, transparent) chaining of behaviors, and
so is a feature-deficient replacement for button behaviors.

In looking at the bug for this -- which is a year and a half old -- I
thought of the idea that app layout could also be under version control if
it, too, had text-based alternative. There's a bug for (roughly) that --
and it is over five years old. So what I'm suggesting is that it seems
unlikely that either of these issues will be fixed in the engine anytime
soon, and further that it doesn't necessarily have to be an engine change
that addresses it.

The code library to make this happen would be almost trivial to write an
MVP for. A simple format (I'd suggest JSON, but newline support seems to be
an issue) would allow starting with a really basic definition, just enough
to support stacks with scripts and properties, which would get us the
equivalent of script-only stacks with chained behaviors. Beyond that it
would quickly be possible to include cards, groups, and controls, with many
(most?) properties, in external files, and voila, source control over the
interface for many projects.

I'm probably under-thinking the complexity, and overthinking the
possibility/need, but I definitely want a standardized way of handling
chained behaviors in source control, and I'd hate to wait another year and
a half to get that one thing.

And: yeah, openstack is a bad idea for the initialization message. It would
be much better to use a custom message -- behaviorStack?

gc

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <