Quit Command corrupts standalone (stack called by standalone splash)

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Feb 26 23:16:11 EST 2018

On 02/26/2018 07:38 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Consider this scenario with stack files, for example:
>
> Mark writes a stack, then I open it, then you open it.  You and I are
> both making changes, and I save mine a few seconds before you save
> yours. In that scenario, what's on disk?

Keep in mind the Dropbox and Box are primarily single-user storage
applications. I can, for instance, give read access to others, and if
I'm feeling wild and crazy I can even give write access, but I have to
go out of my way to do this. Normally I'm the only one who can write or
even read the files in my folder, even though they're synced to multiple
machines under my control.

> Corruption is very interesting to me.  Lost data is usually explainable
> through simple multiuser workflow weaknesses, such as inadequate locking
> mechanisms.  But corruption in LC means something interrupted the write,
> or overwrote portions before the write was completed.  And since LC
> stacks files are written in a single pass, whatever caused it to corrupt
> was very efficient at it, as it had little time to do it in.

I *have* had corrupted LiveCode stacks before, and I can count them on
two fingers of one hand. One of them was actually sitting in my Dropbox
folder, so who knows what happened to it? But my favorite thing about
Dropbox is that it stores earlier versions of your files, so I just
reverted to an earlier copy of that stack and carried on.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com