widget properties

Ali Lloyd ali.lloyd at livecode.com
Mon Feb 26 01:30:59 EST 2018

You didn't misunderstand, that is (almost) exactly what I'm suggesting
(once we had import/export for all objects), although I think the way set
works should probably be tweaked so that we *don't* do any manual fettling
- we just document that setting certain groups of properties via the
properties is undefined behavior. If you want to set *all* the properties
of an object to the same as another, don't do it like that, use
export/import instead.

Essentially my point of view is that a properties property should return
all properties. Otherwise it can't really work with widgets. The manual
fettling for the order of properties to set isn't really compatible with
the fact that widget authors can define properties in innumerable ways that
we don't know in advance, unless we force widget authors to provide the
equivalent of the engine's s_preprocess_props.

I just realised though that you can't set if it's a function, so it would
have to be a property, and then you couldn't include the properties
property :-(

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:20 AM Monte Goulding via use-livecode <