Text Styles: Expanded, condensed

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Feb 20 16:37:09 EST 2018

Having come up through the golden age of digital prepress, I learned early on that either everyone working on a project that was involved in type had to have the exact same fonts from the exact same foundries, or else risk any number of issues. Nothing worse than getting the finished product and THEN discovering there were type issues.

There used to be multi-user font server technologies that allowed one font library to be shared between multiple users, and the way it did it is for display purposes, the end users only got access to the raster fonts, which were themselves free, and when access to the high resolution vector versions was required, only one user could do so at a time.

Since the raster versions are so rarely accessed, this was a quite workable system, although not very much to the liking of the font foundries, as you can imagine. I'm not sure what ever happened to those systems. There were two I was familiar with, one was Suitcase by Extensis, and the other I cannot remember the name of, Font wrangler or something like it. There are others now, including an offerring from Adobe, but I doubt all of them offer font sharing.

Professional products allow the embedding of typefaces in their documents. Word is not one of those. That is a shame because Word is still to this day the best book layout application, providing for footnote links that flow with the anchors, so you don't have to manually redo all your footnotes every time the document reflows.

Bob S