Interrupting "Wait"

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Dec 31 10:21:31 EST 2018

In essence, you want something like the following:

(this assumes a capital Q typed to the card will quit the display. It
could easily be changed to clicking a button - so long as the mouseUp
handler would set the script-local when appropriate).

local sStopRequested

command playShow
    local tPhotos
    put FALSE into sStopRequested
    put randomPhotoList() into tPhotos
    repeat for each line L in tPhotos
       dispatch "loadImage" with L
       wait 5 seconds with messages
       if sStopRequested then exit repeat
    end repeat
    dispatch "loadImage" with "defaultMainImage"
end playShow

on rawKeyUp pKey
    if pKey = "Q" then
       put TRUE into sStopRequested
    else
       pass rawKeyUp
    end if
end rawKeyUp

NB this has the limitation that there will be a delay of up to 5 seconds
after the user types the 'Q" before it takes effect. If you need to
avoid that and get more immediate response, then you could replace
       wait 5 seconds with messages
       if sStopRequested then exit repeat
with
       repeat 5 times
          if sStopRequested then exit repeat
          wait 1 second with messages
       end repeat -- for the number of seconds
       if sStopRequested then exit repeat

or similar (or put that logic into a handler).

And as a bonus, you could easily add more typing options ...
    Q for quite the slideshow
    SPACE for next photo immediately
    arrowkey for next/previous, erc

Alex.