Signing macOS application

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Sat Dec 29 15:20:24 EST 2018

Hi,

I’m using DropDMG to sign my macOS installer. Users are having trouble opening it—Gatekeeper seems to not recognize my developer ID.

It is unclear to me what is going on. Does the application need to be signed before I create the installer in DropDMG? And how do I do that? I had thought that DropDMG took care of everything… Michael Tsai says "The app should definitely be signed before creating the .dmg.”

https://c-command.com/forums/showthread.php/4103-Signing-app-to-prevent-Gatekeeper-block <https://c-command.com/forums/showthread.php/4103-Signing-app-to-prevent-Gatekeeper-block>

I have these IDs:
	Developer ID Installer
	Developer ID Application

DropDMG shows in its preferences the 'Developer ID Application’ that is used to sign the installer. That should be used and not 'Developer ID Installer’?

Anyone have any guidance on this?

And this all doesn’t have anything to do with Notarization? That’s another step for the future?

Thanks for any help!

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive