Seeking OSX Code signing consultant...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Dec 12 14:20:29 EST 2018

Tips from LiceCode.com or from Google searches or Apple articles or on
3rd party web sites (like Trevor's) are great ... for the people who
want to setup code signing themselves.

For LiveCode to be really considered an effective development
environment for building commercial application, a population of
"experts" that can be hired needs to be cultivated. For a number of
areas this exists.

When we wanted a External built, we didn't have to learn C++. We found
several people in the LiveCode community who had the skills and would
build an External for us to our specs - that effort became the XPDF
external (later acquired by LiveCode) for displaying and extracting PDF
content.

When we wanted to provide graphs in our applications, we didn't have to
follow lots of LiveCode Script tutorials on how to draw bar charts by
sizing various rectangle graphic objects, we purchase a graphics library
that did this for us.

And so on .... with quite a few example. However, Code Signing seems to
be stuck at the "you have to learn to do it yourself" level. That is not
entirely true, as I did have one response to my inquiry for a paid
consultation. But still, only 1? That in and of itself says something
about the LiveCode market place. Either there are not enough people
willing to pay for 3rd party developer services for 3rd party developers
to make a living at it OR the market of people wanting LC related
developer expertise is larger than the available number of "experts".

Also, if you are making a commercial application in LiveCode for
Windows, OSX, and probably Linux too, you pretty much have to code sign
the app or your sales will suffer (if you get any at all). For Android
and iOS code signing is required.

I've currently narrowed our problem (I think) to an issue with our
Certificates from the Apple Developer site. I've now spent probably 10
hours on this (and its still not working) in what would probably take an
experienced person less than a couple hours. Tomorrow, I will work with
a consultant  and hopefully discover the obvious thing I should have
been doing that I have not been doing.