fullscreenmode and rect of a substack on mobile device ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 21 16:43:13 EDT 2018

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > But yeah, maybe you and I could team up and do a one-on-one debate.
 > Someone could set up a rope ring and we could wear boxing gloves. :)

Given that we've never disagreed on how to solve a specific resizing
problem, I would imagine it would be the most boring debate ever.

Let's at least spice it up with tequila. If we make it into an
interactive drinking game with the audience we may have a winner. :)

 > On 8/21/18 1:26 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> The stretch-or-gap solution FSM provides can be an excellent fit for
 >> those
 >
 > That's where I think you're missing something. Those aren't the only
 > options. Nobody uses stretch (not even Monument Valley) due to the
 > distortion.

When stretched proportionately there is no distortion.  It's just larger.

Monument Valley stretches proportionately.

 > But you aren't limited to seeing gaps, there are ways to avoid that.

The gaps need not be blank.

Monument Valley centers its content region within a generous decorative
backdrop, so the unused portions of the screen are rendered as a
continuation of the background art.

Proportionality avoids gaps where the ratio is constant.  Change the
ratio, and the layout can either extend outside the screen or have a gap
within it. I can't conceive of how it could do anything either than one
or both of those.

 > The result is closer to what you describe with manual resizing. No
 > gaps, and use of the edges around the stack.
 >
 > I do agree we should use whatever method is best for our needs, so
 > we're in sync there. But I think you are doing way more work than you
 > need to.

How would it be used to make an email form that looks great on both a 4"
phone and an 11" tablet, in both orientations on each?

How can FSM be used to produce the layouts of Evernote, or Twitter, or
SimpleNote, or Maps, or Instagram, etc.?

My experience with FSM is admittedly limited. Its description suggests
it does not attempt to make intelligent decisions about the placement of
specific controls relative to each other, or make some objects wider
while preserving their height, etc.

If I've missed something and there's a way to get a 70px button to
remain 70px but at a different location relative to another object on
all screen sizes without writing a line of code, of course I'd love it.

But at the moment, my primitive ways places me at no greater
disadvantage than most app devs and nearly all web devs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems