fullscreenmode and rect of a substack on mobile device ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 21 14:26:26 EDT 2018

Jim Lambert wrote:

 > A shootout between FSM vs. scripted resizing might make a good LC
 > Global presentation.
 > The pros and cons of each. Cases where one may be better than the
 > other. Etc.
 > Examples.

I touched on it in my LCG talk on UX in October last year.

It was only a brief part of the discussion because there really isn't
much to compare.  They're so very different that it's rare one would
feel the need to choose between them.  The nature of the layout dictates
which will do what you need.

If there's any general guidance, the pattern that seems to have emerged
in the complete agreement Jacque and I have on the applicability of each
method to a given layout might come down to this:

In broad terms, many apps could be categorized as either "productivity
apps" or "multimedia presentations".

Many games, and perhaps apps like Swami's, provide good examples of
multimedia presentations.  The stretch-or-gap solution FSM provides can
be an excellent fit for those, and indeed it is simple to use as long as
what you need to do fits with what it does.

Apps like gMmail, Firefox, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Skype,
SimpleNote, Play Music, Nextcloud, Hangouts, Telegram, Maps, Calculator,
and others are examples of productivity apps.

In those, we often see a focus on consistent text and object sizes
across device types, with regions that adjust relative to others to make
optimal use of every pixel on the user's screen.  That's the sort of
stuff we've been doing for years with resizeStack handlers on the
desktop, providing us with transferable knowledge for mobile as well.

Look at the layout you want to make.  Look at the apps on your phone.
Find some that look like what you want to make.  Do that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems