fullscreenmode and rect of a substack on mobile device ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 20 00:45:07 EDT 2018

Brian Milby wrote:
 > I can't speak directly to Android, but once you start doing resize
 > handlers, I can't see using fullscreenmode.  If you are going to
 > position anything, may as well position it based on actual device
 > metrics.

That's all I was getting at when I wrote:
"FullScreenMode makes handling dynamic layout details complex."

Consider what FSM does. It stretches the card or adds empty space around it.

Then look at the apps on your phone.

Then determine how well FSM will support the type of layout your own
apps need.

Depending on the app, FSM may be great.  But on my phone I have exactly
one app that uses layout logic anything like it.  Everything else uses
explicit placement.

FSM is very good for what it is, but it isn't a magic pony. In software
design the only magic pony is the designer: our devotion applying the
same tender loving care to scripting the user interface that we use when
writing any other code.

The great thing with us LC scripters is that we've already been
adjusting controls for resizable windows for many years, so we can
leverage all that experience.

Extra bonus points that you can test scripted placement within the IDE
in the simplest way possible: just resize the stack window you're
working on.

Most of the lengthier discussions I've seen about layout handling here
and on the forums stem from attempting to get precise control from FSM.
In some cases it may be possible to mix FSM with scripted placement, but
as you suggest it's often murkier than just having precise control over
everything without bringing FSM into it at all.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems