Text rendering of Unicode text in LC

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Aug 15 04:06:54 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-13 22:56, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:
> Here is a sample of the Chinese text. It has a button to click to
> toggle showing the text and the htmlText in the same fields. Note to
> see the text problems you will have to open this in Windows 10. I must
> point out that the LC 8 versions only show the anti-alias rendering
> problem in Chinese MS Windows installations!
>
> LC 9.0: Bold and not bold-looking rendered text mixed in together. It
> should be NOT bold.
> LC 8.1.9:Shows bitmap glyphs in standard Windows OS. However it
> renders text as anti-aliased but poorly in Chinese MS Windows
> installations
> LC 8.1.3 Shows bitmap glyphs in standard Windows OS. However it
> renders text as anti-aliased but poorly in Chinese MS Windows
> installations
>
> https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Chinese%20Display%20Sample.livecode

We checked all dp's of 9 after 6 - it is fine in an unreleased build of
dp-7, but not in the released build.

If you could file a bug with your sample stack, so we can keep track -
we'll get someone to take a look.

I go back on what I said before - having seen the stack 'live' - it does
indeed look as some glyphs are being rendered in bold, and some are not.
For what its worth, I think its definitely a font issue of some kind -
we'll take a look at the lighter looking ideographs in comparison to the
darker ones to see if we can determine if it is related to 'font
fallback'.

Part of me wonders whether it is some sort of glyph caching issue in
skia - since the first line of text is bold. Definitely something
slightly odd going on anyway.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps