Why I insist on my pupils writing properly formed English letters.

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:50:40 EDT 2018

Because some people who did not take handwriting very seriously, called
the Marwari, started getting their letter 'D' wrong
to the extent that it eventually began to be treated as a different
letter by Indian Colonial Language experts at the end of
the 19th century and then got plonked into the Unicode standard in a
different place from the letter it should have been
if those slap-dash Marwaris hadn't been a bit uncoordinated with their
pens . . .

. . . And now LiveCode 8.1.10 using my Devawriter Pro font which has the
Marwari glyph in its correct place (hex 978, decimal 2424)
seems unable to put anything but a wee box into a field set to my font
when I do this:

put numToCodePoint(2424) into fld "ff"

even while it behaves itself perfectly happily with:

put numToCodePoint(2427) into fld "ff"

A while back someone was stating something about LiveCode not being able
to cope with post Unicode 10; but as the
Marwari 'D' was in place at least as early as Unicode 7 I'm not
convinced about that.

All this on Macintosh 10.7.5.

In about 10 minutes will transport everything over to Linux and see what
goes on there.

Richmond.