Fun with Windows 10

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Tue Aug 14 09:13:17 EDT 2018

Quickest route might be LC 6.7.

No matter which version, 6 8 9, if you can, turn off ALL update
preferences/options.

Check Task Manager and end any stray LC processes, especially an
"Installer" or "Setup" process which is usually just an update check,
but causes tons of issues. Furthermore I often deleted that setup file
(it's .setup.exe in each IDE folder) and that's what you can do if you
can't access the prefs.

Sometimes LC on Windows didn't launch correctly right after install -
just end any processes, don't reinstall, and normally launch. Then it works.

Note that none of this "fun" is actually about Windows itself, it's just
less LC familiarity and support for Windows, and perhaps fewer LC users
on that side.

I switched to Windows soon after the point when Mac abandoned its
original rigorous human interface research, because I have a little less
fine motor control than the average person and Window provides a little
more real estate for some of the controls.

That made Windows easier for me to use, just as the original HIG-aware
Mac was easier than Windows. Yes, it was that simple! And very
affordable, another helpful factor. Both companies have sort of lost the
plot, so besides human interface and affordability, I don't have a dog
in that race otherwise. :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development