Re [OT] Snakey Problem

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Aug 13 14:39:08 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-13 20:26, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Ah, Software Licensing Agreement
> (For both personal and commercial use).
>
> For humans:
>
> You bought a copy of this software, it's yours to do whatever you like.
> The code is open for you to examine or modify.
> Don't take me to court saying you have claims on this software,
> because you don't.
> Please don't give out copies to others.
> If you find bugs, please let me know and I'll fix them and everybody
> gains.
> If it turns out that this agreement doesn't match up with LiveCode's
> license agreement, I'll update it.
>
> The lawyers part is longer and translates the above into something
> that even lawyers can read.

Hehe - lawyers do need special-casing at times :)

Anyway the above sounds like a perfectly reasonable license - but it is
a license (and not a 'silly' one ;)) - so I wasn't trying to start
anything, just trying to prod you into admitting that you do actually
have a license attached to your software :oP.

> Copyright © 1991 - 1995, Stichting Mathematisch Centrum Amsterdam, The
> Netherlands.  All rights reserved.
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
> provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
> both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
> supporting documentation, and that the name of Stichting Mathematisch
> Centrum or CWI not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
> distribution of the software without specific, written prior
> permission.
>
> STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
> THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
> FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM BE LIABLE
> FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
> WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
> ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT
> OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Yes - its changed over the years - mostly not particularly notably (and
mainly due to the transition from privately owned to the PSF I think). I
only pulled out the latest (3.7) version because I haven't seen
something *requiring* documentation of a 'change against the base'
clause before (and I've read a *LOT* of software licenses over the years
both closed and open source!).

For a language system, it isn't a bad idea to be honest - it makes forks
absolutely crystal clear as forks which is perhaps much more important
when changes to language syntax and semantics are in play.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps