[OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:09:48 EDT 2018

Oh, Dear, Mark, I think you've just fallen into my trap . . .

If you've lost sight of something, you . . .

Sorry about that; just too hard to resist.

---

" "enabling millions of novices to build simple applications" "

--

Although, to be fair that's not the problem.

What might be the problem is what we might call "reach".

Every single Macintosh came with HyperCard installed.

Nothing comes with LiveCode installed.

AND LiveCode's uptake is very slim indeed.

I have just started learning Python: NOT because I don't think LiveCode
rocks the socks off almost every other programming language/IDE,

but because of pure economics.

I would like someone to explain why people all seem to want their kids
to learn C++, C# or Python when
they all look like riffs on the PASCAL I studied 33 years ago at University.

And PYTHON comes installed on Macintosh and most Linux distros.

Richmond.