valueDiff for arrays?

Brian Milby brian at milby7.com
Sat Aug 4 19:48:27 EDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <

> On 08/04/2018 11:55 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>
> Remember that this isn't a unique problem to LiveCode - script only stacks
>> (particularly how we've grown to use them) are akin to C source files /
>> projects (mainly because that is abstractly what they are /
>>

> I do realize that. But now that we've opened that can of worms I don't
> think we can just go on ignoring it. And the difference between LC
> script-only stacks and C source files is that you don't get to distribute a
> single compiled object in LC... you end up with a mainstack and several
> text files to distribute, and they need to stay together and in the same
> relative position. It's messy.

I don't think it has to be this way.  It would not be that difficult to
script the integration of all included behaviors into buttons of a resource
substack or even as substacks.  I actually envision something along these
lines for my Script Tracker as a way to include external library code in a
single file stack yet still have it be managed outside of the stack (my
code would sync the actual library code with a button that the stack would
use as the library or behavior). One advantage is that name resolution of
the behaviors would then be automatic.

One thing I'd like, since you're asking (place this in the 'watch what you
> ask for' category) is to be able to use script-only stacks as substacks.

Script Tracker could allow something like this now.  The substacks would
not be script only, but the exported script would look just like one.

And I've looked at how Trevor is having Sublime Text notify LiveCode that a
stack has been saved and believe that the same sort of thing is possible
with Atom.  Also, the code he uses to update a script only stack inside the
IDE could also be used in a folder watch script to do the same thing
without running a server process.  I'm sure that at a certain point the
number of files/folders watched would make it better to use his approach.

And I'm still looking for the code examples checking parameters.  I must
have deleted my stack since I don't see it.

Brian