valueDiff for arrays?

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Sat Aug 4 19:14:52 EDT 2018

On 08/04/2018 11:55 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> Remember that this isn't a unique problem to LiveCode - script only
> stacks (particularly how we've grown to use them) are akin to C source
> files / projects (mainly because that is abstractly what they are /

I do realize that. But now that we've opened that can of worms I don't
think we can just go on ignoring it. And the difference between LC
script-only stacks and C source files is that you don't get to
distribute a single compiled object in LC... you end up with a mainstack
and several text files to distribute, and they need to stay together and
in the same relative position. It's messy.

> Perhaps 'Show IDE Stacks in lists' (or whatever it is called) has become
> far far too blunt an instrument...

What I was thinking.

> For example, the PB could offer a new 'top-level' - which is project. A
> project being defined by a set of stacks which share a common name
> prefix...

Well, when the PB was first proposed, that's where I thought this was
heading.

One thing I'd like, since you're asking (place this in the 'watch what
you ask for' category) is to be able to use script-only stacks as
substacks. That way I could edit them with a text editor and still work
with only a single unified object. And the PB would hide the component
stacks within the mainstack until I chose to examine them, the same way
that substacks now work. Obviously there are script-only stacks that
would not need to be substacks, but that's no different from the way
stacks and substacks work now.

And btw, thanks for your input on this list. On a Saturday even. Much
appreciated.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com