valueDiff for arrays?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Aug 4 15:51:31 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-04 21:20, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> On 8/4/18 12:41 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>> Can you immediately see the error?
>
> Who, me? LOL. Well, I did find the line that was different. Brian and
> others who can read this stuff did better. But I did get the gist of
> your post and feel sufficiently smug now.

Well you can share your smugness with all Python, JavaScript, Java, C#,
BASIC variants, and pretty much every other programmer who has chosen a
high-level language (in terms of ones which takes away the need to think
about memory management) as their main tool - at least in this regard.
(Here by 'high-level' I mean one which abstracts away memory management
and pointer manipulation entirely from your normal concerns).

However, I'd like to think that LiveCode actually sits in a slightly
better class... It does not rely on a 'garbage collector' - all memory
management is explicit - its just the engine does all the explicit work
for you. It manages high-level safety without resorting to what is
essentially a 'panic' solution to solving the problem (which actually
has profound and rather unpleasant side-effects and edge cases in all
kinds of ways most programmers who are used to relying on one don't even
realize - but find out pretty quickly about then their fail
catastrophically) ;)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps