Getting Started with DataGrid and another datagrid form question

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:45:48 EDT 2018

Dear Douglas,

Thanks for your interesting feedback about your attempt to use DGH for the
first time, with creating a datagrid form.

All the properties for customizing the datagrid apart, I've created the
form template area (the way to custom the content of a row with controls
such as image, buttons, etc) with the following objectives:
- in the standard way to customize a datagrid template, we have to open the
row template group inside the template card. In DGH all this group is
copied inside a "visual" area we can manipulate
- when dropping some controls in the template area, with the datagrid, you
are alone with the required script for managing all these controls. DGH, at
the condition to respond to the right dialog, is building a minimal script
depending of the kind of controls you added. Unfortunately this is
difficult to cover all the needs, because they are all specific depending
of the developer and what he want to do. But at least the goal of the
installed script is to give you the keys and philosophy to understand what
it is required for the controls.For a button, how to perform an action, for
a checkbox, how to check or uncheck it, for an image how to display it, to
click it, etc
- one of the recurrent difficulties for users was to understand the
datagrid rows remains empty until you have populate it. And because it is
empty you will never see the beautiful button or image you have added if
you have not at least a row data. This is why in DGH, upper the template
area, we have a datagrid preview, to see immediately the control we have
added.

Your comment make me realize that it is not enough when you are beginning
with form template. One of my unexploited idea was to add kind of presets
template with for example a text on the left and four checkboxes on the
right, etc so the developper could start with ready to use templates to add
to his datagrid. The problem of the approach is covering needs, I can't
anticipate.

What might have you expected from DGH in this task? More tutorial
explaining how the template area is working?, more lessons?, contextual
help in DGH to help you to start? Something else? Feel free to expand, I'm
always interested in approachs or ways I could try to implement in the goal
to improve DGH.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com