Search a multidimensional array

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 20 15:15:15 EDT 2018

This is an interesting problem, Andrew.  Thanks for posting it.

One modest performance gain available easily may be to change this:

   repeat for each element tThisItem in tInventoryArray
          if tThisItem["description"] contains tSearchQuery then
             put tThisItem into tSortedInventoryArray[ \
               (the number of elements of tSortedInventoryArray) + 1]
          end if
   end repeat

...to:

   put 0 into i
   repeat for each element tThisItem in tInventoryArray
          if tThisItem["description"] contains tSearchQuery then
             add i to i
             put tThisItem into tSortedInventoryArray[i]
          end if
   end repeat

As originally written it needs to traverse the entire destination array
each time through the loop just to get a unique ordinal index number;
maintaining that manually through i should be a little bit faster.

It may be that a much faster optimization may be possible by leaving the
data as a delimited string.  It's hard to say up front if that will be
the case, but converting strings to and from arrays is expensive, and
both "repeat for each line..." and "put <foundthing>&cr after..." are
very fast operations.

If these ideas don't yield the performance gain you're looking for, and
if the data is not sensitive, feel free to email the data and a sample
stack with your current search scripts and I'll see what I can do.

It's useful for much of the work I do to know which methods of querying
data will perform better, and I rarely come across good real-world data
like this, so I'd be happy to give it a shot to see what can be learned
from it.

My test data no doubt differs from yours, but FWIW most of my testing
has been done with data containing between 10k and 100k records, and few
take as long as a second or two for a given query.

Either some of what I've learned may help your situation, or your
situation will teach me new things to consider.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems