iOS usb/serial access and use

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Mon Apr 16 18:31:36 EDT 2018

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 3:27 am, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Hmmm... I found an interesting and possibly an exploitable approach... possibly in combination with Monte's suggestion that "mergAccessory" may be a component.  In the link:
> https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/13605/how-to-get-started-with-interfacing-usb-devices-to-ipad
>
> ... there is discussion about using a MIDI device as an attachment to an iOS device.  I could easily get the arduino to appear to be a MIDI device, since that merely involves using a specific "protocol" for moving data AND there are many arduino project which use the arduino for MIDI processing, input and output.
>
> Question is.. how would I go about "marrying" the two... a MIDI "device" and Monte's "mergAccessory" external?

Unfortunately you need an official made for iOS device to use mergAccessory. It’s a special program that hardware manufacturers have to sign up to. Apple being Apple keep control of the ecosystem of hardware. Best bet is to look for a made for iphone thing that is designed as an interface to arduino or something.

Cheers

Monte