Autocomplete toggle?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 26 19:12:45 EDT 2017

Apologies Monte, I'm sure autocomplete will be handy at some point, but
is there a command I can issue in the message box to turn it off for a
while?

Yesterday it went amok and I had to quit LC and restart to get normal
operation back. In those situations it would be good to be able to turn
it off. I don't have a recipe but I think it may have been related to
remote debugging. As near as I can remember:

My Android phone was cabled to the Mac and when asked, I clicked "yes"
to start a remote debugging session. In this case none of my breakpoints
triggered (not the fault of remote debugging, my breakpoints were in
places that didn't run) so I quit the app. LC never indicated I had
disconnected.

I began to edit a script and the phone went to sleep. There was severe
lag, the script editor started missing keystrokes and would then add
them to some other place in the line. Every attempted correction caused
other characters to be inserted somewhere else. I tried to add a comment
to a line and autocomplete kept inserting text for me though I didn't
select any of the suggestions (shouldn't it ignore anything to the right
of a comment delimiter?)

Eventually the script got so mangled I just quit without saving. I think
if I had been able to turn off autocomplete from the message box I could
have corrected and saved my work.

We probably also need a way to turn off remote debugging when we're done
with it, just in case.

LC 9.0 dp 9
Mac OS X Sierra

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com