LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1 Dropping Keystrokes in IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 20 12:42:59 EDT 2017

RunRevPlanet wrote:

 > I am surprised that LiveCode does not have a single large project that
 > can be loaded into the IDE for a spot control creation and script
 > editing on a real machine platforms before releasing a DP.

    Thousands of language features
  * Thousands of language features
  * Number of supported platforms
  _________________________________

  = Extraordinary combinatorial explosion of possibilities

Between their internal automated test tools and external tools like
Coverity, LC's core dev team is able to catch a great many issues prior
to release.  This can be seen by following the progress of pull requests
on the project in Github.

But there are limits to what is practical to attempt with any automated
testing, and more so with LiveCode.

If LiveCode were a consumer software product, with a fixed feature set
in which users can alter only data but not execution paths, the ratio of
testable elements could be much higher.

But as a toolkit for others to make nearly any software they can dream
up, the scope of all possible things that can be done with it would
require a testing effort far larger than the code base itself, well into
negative-ROI territory.

Even relatively simple consumer apps commonly rely on external testing
by users ("beta testing") to expose issues not readily found though
automated testing methods.

The most cost-effective means for all of us collectively to get this
toolkit to a state where it does what we need for our specific projects
is to use it on our specific projects and report deviations from
expected behavior.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems