TSNet error 6

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Sep 1 13:12:04 EDT 2017

That is a DNS error. If referring to a host, you can use the NetBIOS name locally, the FQDN locally or remotely, or the IP number (which might change so that is always a bad idea).

Now if the host name is NetBIOS, a number of things can go wrong in a non-domain environment. With a domain server acting as your local DNS, it will resolve NetBIOS names to their FQDN equivalents via the WINS service. Barring that, NetBIOS name resolution falls back on an election process, where some windows computer is elected as the Master Browser, which is then responsible for tracing all devices on the network and their current IP addresses.

If it happens to be a regular workstation, and it is set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time, well another device has to become the master browser, and it won't know about the  server in question until it requests the current master browser and it might not do that for some time. See the problem?

So there are a couple ways around that. First you can configure the local router with a static DNS entry, and make sure the primary DNS server listed is that router. Alternately you can edit the hosts file on each workstatino and make a static entry there. The latter is probably going to be the most reliable, but starting with windows 7 I think that file is locked, so it requires elevated privileges.

Sucks huh? The best thing is to have a real DNS server locally (every router these days does this but not everyone configures their routers correctly) and then via the command line you *should* be able to register with the DNS server, but I'm not sure how.

Hope that is not too much.

Bob S