[off]macbook model

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Sep 1 10:47:42 EDT 2017

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 18:53 , Mike Kerner via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Screen real estate:  Appearance aside, is there an advantage to retina?

Not sure about an advantage, but I will say that apps need to be retina aware. Parallels for instance changed the scale of things inside Windows. The GPU essentially has 4 times the work to do. You need to upgrade to resolve that issue.

> Do I get more working space if I don't go to a 15" display?

This doesn't make sense. Is your old screen bigger/smaller? It's not much more real estate over a 13" anyway that would make you go "WOW!"

> 2) I don't notice the speed of this box affecting much of anything.  For
> development, does cpu really matter?  I suspect I'd do better with some
> more memory, but has anyone noticed that it matters?

The speed gain is the SSD drive. More memory helps especially for having lots of processes running simultaneously. And if you are building fairly large apps, I do notice a speed gain when creating standalones. And don't rule out gaming! :-)

> 3) I can get a 27" 5k imac pretty nicely equipped for the same price as a
> 15" MBP.  Ignoring the portability issue, any thoughts?

How often do you use your Air away from home? Can you see yourself doing without it, maybe using a mobile device instead? If so, then obviously the iMac is going to be the better choice *IF* it has an SSD drive. I have an SSD in my laptop for work, and a 27" iMac at home. Once you are used to the SSD performance, it's hard watching while the iMac does whatever it does at any given time. Also, if you are going to be gaming, DEFINITELY get the 27" iMac with lots of RAM and SSD!!!

Bob S