Remote Debugger Frustrations

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 06:15:34 EDT 2017

How are people getting on with the remote debugger facility? I'm finding it very useful but also frustrating for the following reasons:

1. It's SLOW. I'm running LC 9 on an iMac with a 4GHz quad i7 processor and 24GB RAM connected by USB to an Amazon Fire 7 tablet, yet each step through the script in the debugger takes several seconds.

2. It's difficult to stop to make changes. Clicking the stop debugging button often doesn't work or takes a long time to react and even when apparently stopped it's still making everything slow.

3. Often it steps through the script as it was just before the latest change, i.e. it doesn't take into account the latest script edits.

4. It can be difficult to change break points during remote debugging.

5. The only way that guarantees a clean run is to quit LC and start again.

6. A partial reset can be achieved by the following:
	a. having clicked 'stop debugging'...
	b. open & close Standalone Application Settings
	c. click Test, which prompts for Save
	d. click Save and the remote build & install starts
	e. however, the above doesn't always recognise script changes.

I find the Remote Debugger to be very helpful. BUT, if only there was a quick reliable way of stopping, editing the script and continuing/restarting.  Currently the run-check-edit-rerun cycle is far too slow and error prone using the remote debugger.

Any thoughts or advice from other users of the Remote Debugger?

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK