Mobile Device Physical Size

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 21 20:20:00 EDT 2017

Ignore my last post.  Garbage.  I had overlooked a rather obvious fact
of screen manufacturing: each method will have slight variance in terms
of absolute PPI, resulting in variance not only in physical pixelDensity
differences but in how accurately the OS will bother to account for them
in terms of the approximated logical pixels.

Screens aren't rulers. :)

When you look at devices with sufficiently different screens, you can
see that common elements like the status bar are slightly different from
one device to another.  LiveCode objects are no exception.  This can be
seen with pretty much all software.

Near the beginning of the year when I was fleshing out layout mechanics
for a couple apps I'm working on, I not only laid my test pool devices
side by side, but also used a small mm ruler to see how consistently
they render controls of a known size.

The variance I saw and measured was about the same as what we see here
between OSes, not small enough to be completely inconsequential but not
large enough to matter for most things.

As long as we don't try to make rulers on screen for measuring physical
objects, we can likely account for reasonable object placement, even
between platforms, well enough.

It would be interesting to learn if Apple devices have
visible/measurable differences in physical size of software objects
between screens made using different manufacturing methods.  But it does
seem to be the case with Android.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems