Mobile Device Physical Size

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 21 20:01:03 EDT 2017

Thanks, Brian.  With your stats we now have our first anomaly, between
the two platforms:

The iOS math checks out in terms of the reported logical metrics
matching the physical pixels per the pixel density.

But when we compare the iPhone 5.5" screen with the LG Stylo 5.5"
screen, LiveCode is telling us that the iPhone screen is both wider and
taller. Of course given the same diagonal, one screen could be either
wide or taller than the other, but not both.

This suggests that Apple's APIs and/or LC's handling of the metrics is
sufficiently different from how it works with Android that we might run
into cross-platform issues where physical size matters.

I wouldn't try to make a measuring ruler on a phone screen, but more
practical use-cases might involve layouts that require us to put a lot
of touchable areas into a small space, so figuring out the smallest
practical size for a clickable element can be important.  Or even just
making sure text is of a sufficiently readable size without making it
larger than needed on the other platform.

If we set things up in a way that works well for Android, it seems we
risk having things too small on iOS.

Of course both OSes use their own APIs, and neither is required to adopt
another vendor's method of accounting for things like pixel density.

But it sure would be nice if we had a method as reliable between
platforms as it seems to otherwise be within each platform.

Maybe simplest if LC's pixel density could take into account the
difference there apparently is between the two OSes.  That's the sort of
thing that makes a cross-platform tool valuable, though I recognize
there may not be as simple as introducing a correction factor for pixel
density; given the complexity of rendering/Skia, I suspect it's a bit
more involved than that.

I guess the only solution where physical size of controls between
platforms may be especially important is for us to just remember that
regardless of any specific physical pixel density, logical pixels will
be reported to us as about 20% larger on iOS than on Android, and try to
aim for somewhere in between.

--
  Richard Gaskin