Clipboard pastes into single spreadsheet cell

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Oct 18 18:41:18 EDT 2017

> On 19 Oct 2017, at 1:34 am, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> That is a function of how Google Spreadsheet and BBEdit treat tabs, not the Livecode Clipboard.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Oct 18, 2017, at 01:27 , Paul Foraker via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Tabs coming from LiveCode are converted to spaces when pasted to a Google
>> spreadsheet, but are not converted when pasting from BBEdit.

I have a theory for you.

I suspect that because when you copy text in LC then not only the plain text representation is put on the clipboard but also a html one, an rtf one and so on. Some apps might preferentially read the html one for example and in google sheets 	 might be replaced with space to fit the html chunk to a single cell. So moral of the story is to either control what representations are placed on the clipboard by setting the appropriate array keys or tell users to use the Edit > Paste special > Paste values only menu.

Cheers

Monte