[ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Oct 6 05:51:47 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-06 06:57, hlowe via use-livecode wrote:
> As Apple no longer supports running 32 bit apps under iOS 11, would it
> be
> possible to make including a 32 bit slice optional, as defaulting to
> universal binaries almost doubles the size of the app bundle (my app
> went
> from 18 MB when built with LC 8.1.7 RC-2 to 31 MB when built with LC
> 8.1.7
> RC-3. Ideally in iOS Application Settings one could choice from : (1)
> Build
> universal binary; (2) Build 64 bit binary only; (3) Build 32 bit binary
> only.

I believe the iTunes store automatically removes unnecessary slices from
apps *before* they get downloaded onto a user's phone (and I wouldn't be
surprised if this also happens when transferring the app locally through
Xcode / iTunes - although this is somewhat difficult to check without a
rooted iOS device!).

The current situation from the S/B's point of view is this:

   1) If the min iOS version in the S/B is set to iOS 11, then only a
64-bit slice will be included and it will only work on devices which
have iOS 11

   2) If the '32-bit only' checkbox is set, then the S/B will only
include a 32-bit slice - this is to support iPad 1 (it was added to
support a few customers who were having to support iPad 1's in their
apps after Apple added the 64-bit option - we're not sure if anyone is
still using it which is why it is still there).

   3) Otherwise the S/B will include a 32-bit and 64-bit slice. This
means that the app can run on devices older than the iPhone 5s (which
was the first to run in 64-bit mode).

The reason the 32-bit slice is still needed is that the (32-bit only)
iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C can run up to iOS 10 - so *not* including it
would exclude those devices from being able to use your app.

To rephrase (for clarity) - the slices required in an iOS app are
determined by the min iOS version you have set in the S/B with the remit
of supporting as many devices as possible.

So the question is whether we actually need an explicit toggle - or
whether it is better for the S/B to just do the right thing (as it does
at the moment) based on iOS target version...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps