not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 02:52:03 EDT 2017

Why do I have a feeling that once a system constructed by humans reaches
a certain level of complexity
those humans are unable to predict how it will behave in certain
circumstances.

We humans have, largely got ourself in trouble by starting to think we
can explain everything,
and I have a vision of a God laughing his/her socks off at our hubris.

One of the kids I was teaching programming in the Summer pointed at a
metal box connected to a monitor, a keyboard
and a mouse and asked, "What happens inside that?"

To which I replied, "Magic."

This answer was a bit too honest for the poor boy to cope with as he has
been brought up as a naive realist.

Richmond.