mergZXing alternative

andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com
Tue Oct 3 10:32:03 EDT 2017

I mistakenly said I couldn't get this to work in 9.0.0dp7 (which it
does), I meant to say it did NOT work in 9.0.0dp9 which is on par with
8.2.0.dp1.

I know Android doesn't have the same support for barcode reading as
iOS, so I'd be fine just getting iPad functionality with this. I
manually added mergAV (still don't understand why this wouldn't be
found automatically), but the cards in my stack are unresponsive
trying to trigger mergZXingControlCreate which I'm sure the external
knows nothing about (it's syntax doesn't have anything about barcodes
@ http://mergext.com/home/mergav/ ). Guessing that I'm not calling the
correct functions at this point.

The LC release notes say this was being deprecated because the ZXing
project wasn't supported on iOS, but it seems to function fine on my
iOS 11 test device (when built from LC 9.0.0dp8). It looks like the
project is being ported over to Obj-C using a slightly different name
@ https://github.com/TheLevelUp/ZXingObjC which discusses Xcode 9 and
has commits as recent as a week ago.

If the library needs to be pulled from LC, then it seems like there
should be a little more explanation as to how to proceed with the
workaround than the release notes mention.

--Andrew Bell