Rant on my favourite topics : LC server with a side-dish of on-rev :-)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 20 19:59:20 EST 2017

Alex Tweedly wrote:

 > P.S. I'm not convinced by the original claim either. To me, "integral
 > part" cannot be implied by use of a web api. If it can, I look forward
 > to writing an app with the Community version that uses Google's maps
 > api - and the subsequent claim that Google's code is all subject to
 > GPL :-)

True, the GPL does not consider access across a network to be
"distribution" per se.  After all, the code never leaves the server.
This is how MySQL is available at most hosting companies.

The proprietary edition of LiveCode Server would only be needed in cases
where you plan to distribute the server engine along with your scripts
for use by a customer on their own server.

If one wants a GPL-flavored license which does include network access as
a protected class of use, the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPL)
can be a good choice:
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin