Was I hallucinating? Totally OT, perhaps relevant

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 8 14:23:40 EST 2017

prothero wrote:

 > ...this did get me thinking about the spyware developed to listen in
 > on people’s smart phone microphone without the owner being logged in.
 > Especially by intelligence agencies, but who would be interested in a
 > retire Santa Barbara faculty member. I will get on bitdefender’s list
 > with this question.

Please let us know what you find.

There's quite a controversy going on about how much of one's personal
conversations the Facebook app listens to.

But there's no question that all voice-activated systems (Apple's Siri,
Amazon's Alexa, Microsoft's Corana, Google's voice navigation) must
listen at all times in order to be able to know when you call them by
name.

It wouldn't be possible for them to do what they do without an always-on
mic connected to the Internet.

At least Google (hopefully all of them) provides a place in account
settings to hear the last several clips it sent to their server to try
to determine if you were actually activating the voice service or just
talking to someone in the room.

Once I listened to those clips, I was momentarily relieved to find
nothing there of any particular interest, just me talking to my wife
about shopping, with a friend in line at a movie, with my father-in-law
over breakfast.

But right afterward I turned it off.  Never regretted it.  I only really
used it in my car, and I'd driven for decades without it so I figure I
can do a couple more decades without it as well.

Whether any of that always-on-mic-connected-live-to-the-Internet should
be active or not while the screen is "locked" is something I can't say
with confidence.  Even if designed to be a certain way, like webcams
there's no guarantee it can't be abused.

Zuckerberg keeps tape over his laptop camera.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems