using LC as an emulator

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Nov 6 18:24:43 EST 2017

On 11/6/2017 2:22 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> Anyone write an emulator in LC?  I've got an old ERP system that we own all
> the source to.  I'd like to.  The environment is interpreted, so if I could
> make an emulator/wrapper, I could in theory move the whole thing into LC
> and dump the old environments.

That is potentially a huge amount of work. I wrote an expert system
inferencing engine in LC. It is interpreted. The rules language is very
simple syntax (essentially a rule is an IF THEN with parsing of the
boolean expression syntax for the IF and 2 possible statements for the
THEN) and it is still a fair amount of code.

What language is the source for the ERP in? I expect the language has a
reasonable robust syntax to support and ERP app. Possible a translator
to convert the source to xTalk? However, if you really want a
self-maintained ERP it might ultimately be easier to write one in LC
that convert or interpret a legacy system.