Using alt-key clicks on linux

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon May 29 11:58:29 EDT 2017

On 05/29/2017 08:30 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Personally, it seems a bit heavy-handed of the Gnome team to block a
> modifier key so sweepingly.  I may see about submitting an enhancement
> request to them to change that from Alt-click to Alt-rightclick, which
> seems far better given how broadly the Alt key us used on other
> platforms and how relatively seldom it's used for moving windows in
> Gnome-base desktop environments.

I think considering how much of a known behavior this is in the linux
desktop world it's unlikely to be changed. True, I wouldn't have made
that design decision, but I think it's something we're stuck with. There
are lots of decisions I question on other platforms as well (the Start
button, naming folders "My <whatever>", etc) but they are what they are.

I think the only time I really use the alt-click window-moving feature
is when LiveCode windows misbehave and end up too tall or on the wrong
monitor or behind a menubar. Which is fairly often these days.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com