English Like?

Lagi Pittas iphonelagi at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:34:39 EDT 2017

Bob,

You forget right upto Visual Foxpro 9, Fox still was backwards compatible
with Dbase 2 and still had the STORE statement.

STORE A TO B
STORE 1+15 to C
STORE 5 to a,b,,c,d
STORE "HELLO" to message

The HC and DBASE way  is the logical way to do it for mere mortals,  but
when the whole computer has  4K WORDS of magnetic backing store (IBM 704
that FORTRAN  was written on) you have to use concise syntaxt - a=b instead
of put a into B a 25% of the characters in this case.

Secondly if your output is paper -  Teletype 33 - 10 characters a second ,
that is another reason.

WE do things not because they are the best way but because in the past
there were limitations we have forgotten about.

To paraphrase  Max Planck:-

A programming  language does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die
and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

Regards Lagi

On 24 May 2017 at 18:54, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <