Writing Extensions

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue May 23 11:53:51 EDT 2017

(getting back to this thread after being without internet for several
days - it's rather an interesting experience)

On 05/19/2017 12:40 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> If we are honest then parsing XML even with LCS's excellent text
> chunking isn't
> necessarily *that* much 'prettier'. XML is quite a complicated format if
> you
> want a 100% compliant reader (do we have a 100% compliant XML parser
> written in LiveCode?) - hence why, in this case, it would probably be
> better
> to have a wrapper around a well established XML library in LCB.
>
> Why reinvent a wheel which many other people have already decided needs
> reinventing...

I'm not doing this because it's fun. I'm stuck with parsing xml data,
and it's much uglier trying to treat it as a text stream, especially
with a subset of the xtalk chunking functions, than by using the revXML
functions in LCS.

It might be useful to have a list of what xtalk features are available
in LCB, and possibly even more useful to have a list of the features
that *aren't* available in LCB. For instance, the lack of a switch
statement is both surprising and disappointing. What decisions were made
as to what language features to support / remove?

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com