Writing Extensions

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu May 18 03:30:34 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-17 01:02, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> But I wait for my next examples until there is a stable
> widget format (we have meanwhile three formats that work on
> some LC versions only, not on the others).

Unfortunately we aren't going to be guaranteeing binary-level
compatibility of the LCB module format for quite some time - it will
likely change in every major version for quite a while yet.

> To adjust these costs too much time, simply recompiling
> worked here only in 1 of 20 cases.

Can you elaborate by 'recompiling only worked here in 1 of 20 cases'?

There's probably something we can do here. Currently widget source code
is included in the extension when built using the extension builder
(this will always be true of the community edition, and when we have our
'extensions store/sharing portal', it will be one way we can ensure
people aren't doing anything nefarious (any widget which is to be
accessible from community will require the source is in the extension,
and also that the compiled module in the extension matches the included
source).

So, we could actually tweak things so that we generate the module file
at extension installation time.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps