WannaCry [OT]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue May 16 01:46:47 EDT 2017

On 5/15/17 7:23 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Until we see some enforced security standards, I have no interest in
> "smart cars", "smart TVs" or "smart homes".  When I look at those
> products I just see one big botnet.

Ditto. But I do want a smart home and I've had one for years. We still
use the older X10/Insteon protocol, which I suspect is more convenient
than a smartphone because I don't have to speak commands or find my
phone to launch an app. Sensors and timers manage everything, there's no
network connection at all, and I hardly ever need to flip a light switch.

Not to mention, I don't want my refrigerator to know what I'm eating and
I have zero interest in turning on my crockpot remotely. They're
*supposed* to cook all day.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com