[OT] Tom Pittman in Portland

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 23:01:43 EDT 2017

Hi All,

Recently, I was reading the first 78 pages
of Gary Kildall 1993 unpublished book's:
"Computer Connections: People, Places,
and Events in the Evolution of the
Personal Computer Industry"

that you could download from this webpage:
http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/in-his-own-words-gary-kildall/

On page 42, I found this reference about
Tom Pittman (creator of Compile-It and
many Programs and Developer Tools)

"Tom is the first personal computer developer
and user. (Later, Tom wrote Tiny-C, for which
he is best known.)

Clever Tom wrote a "monitor" for the 4004,
and a small assembler that actually ran on the
SIM4-01 itself.

This, in effect, was the first self-hosted single
chip microprocessor development system.

Tom's "monitor" took 257 bytes, one more than
the 1702 EPROM could hold. He condensed that
to 256 bytes without changing the monitor.

Ask him how he did it if you run into old Tom,
or if you ask me, maybe I'll tell you."

23 years after Gary Kildall wrote this, you could
learn the answer from Tom Pittman himself
if you live in Portland (or near).

>From July 25 through August 11, 2017
Computer Science department of
Portland State University will offer the
NWAPW, an intensive three-week program
for students who are highly motivated by
their interest in the field of computer science.
Tom Pittman joined this year staff:

http://nwapw.org/instructors/

Of course, if you do not live in Portland,
you could always write him to his website's
email direction.

In his website, there is an article that he wrote
before The Computer Museum published
Gary Kildall's book first 78 pages, but this
article does not answer this question.

http://www.ittybittycomputers.com/Essays/My1stComputer.htm

Al