Update strategy?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed May 10 09:44:14 EDT 2017

Ha! This is all very educational - thanks! So you make your user go through a classic installation process - more obvious to the user on a Mac. I notice that some of the apps I used in daily life do this (for example, the Microsoft ones do, I think) but others simply do the whole job invisibly (without a visible installer interface) once the user has agreed to the update - usually this is done via a button that is labelled something like “update and re-launch”. Some others simply do the whole update without explicitly involving the user - this was probably a preference set earlier on - I am not quite so comfortable with this, but I guess it’s just a matter of taste really.

The use of the real installer after the user has already gone through the licensing process (when they first obtained the product) seems to me to call for a different “update” mode for the installer. At least my current .dmg on the Mac, made with DropDMG, asks the user to accept the licensing terms etc. Another reason to experiment, perhaps.

Anyway, thanks very much for the insight.

Graham