Calling a livecode executable -ui from LC server and get back a result.

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri May 5 12:48:32 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-05 18:32, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks for that background, Mark.
>
> Please help me better understand the implications:  does this change
> mean that we can no longer run standalones facelessly on Windows by
> just calling them with the -ui flag while hideConsoleWindows is true?

No - it changes nothing.

The engine has always been a GUI mode app on Windows - passing -ui just
means it doesn't ever create windows (for all intents and purposes).

The tweak (which was made a long time ago - probably in the 4.x series)
just means that if you happen to launch a standalone from the command
prompt in windows, then if it does write to stdout / stderr, then you
see what is written in the console it was launched from.

It still detaches (as all GUI mode apps do), and won't block the
calling terminal - because that is what GUI mode apps do on Windows.

Unfortunately (as the linked articles mention) it is not possible
to change this behavior after the app is launched - the OS decides
what to do when it is launched by looking at what SUBSYSTEM is marked
in the EXE.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps