put x into URL... error on Windows network drive

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu May 4 12:05:17 EDT 2017

On 5/4/2017 11:37 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Paul Dupuis wrote:
>
> > This is a long shot, but has anyone ever experienced any problems
> > with:
> >
> > put <variable> into URL ("file:"&tFilespec)
> >
> > On network drives under Windows, specifically where the users entire
> > "home' drive is a network drive (using Active Directory).
> >
> > An error occurs ("the result" is coming back non-empty), but I don;t
> > have the specific error - this occurs at a customer site and this
> > particular part of the code does not display the Operating System
> > error in "the result" to the customer
> >
> > It does not occur every time, but frequently.
> >
> > This is a standalone built under a pre-LC7 version of Livecode (so
> > pre-Unicode) so could it be a unicode character in the filespec?
>

> With file I/O I've gotten into the habit of adding a call to the
> sysError function to let the OS provide the specific error code
> related to the failure, e.g.:
>
>   put tSomething into url tSomeFile
>   if the result is not empty then
>      answer the result && "(" & sysError() &")"
>      exit to top
>    end if

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Even when trying to create very simple
explanatory error messages for consumption by "average" users, it is
good practice to add the actual error codes - even if in a small font at
the bottom of the message. Unfortunately, the error code/message got
left out in this one part of the code.