Documentation on Accelerated Rendering

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 3 14:38:26 EDT 2017

On 5/3/17 6:00 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> On 2017-04-30 23:52, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> I have been wanting to know that for years. I have the general idea
>> but I want to know exactly what each command or property does. How
>> does layerMode interact with rendering and when should I set it? (I
>> used it incorrectly and submitted a spurious bug report, but I'm still
>> not clear on why I was wrong.)
>
> This is perhaps something we should have more clearly documented at the
> time

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. It clarifies a lot for
me, I really appreciate the time you took to write that up.

It sounds like there will be delays in the case of objects that are
created on the fly and assigned a dynamic layermode. I'm thinking of
Swami's puzzle where new snapshots are created every time a new puzzle
is made. These are dragged around the card by the user.

I assume the buffers are destroyed when an object is deleted. When a new
puzzle is started, the game deletes all the old snapshots, then creates
new ones and assigns the layermode. Is there an ideal way to handle
this? On iOS it's fine, on Android there is significant delay while the
puzzle is built.

Would changing the default compositor help? Or are we just at the mercy
of the graphics card?

I had originally used fields instead of snapshots thinking that would be
faster, but since both are buffered as bitmaps in either case, I guess
it doesn't matter.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com